Review of Zac & Mia By: A.J. Betts

Title: Zac & Mia

Author: A.J. Betts

Number of Pages: 310 pages

Mia's not your typical hospital patient. Her next door neighbor Zac can hear her fighting with her mom and the nurses through their shared wall and he wishes she'd get over herself. But soon they are trading messages that evolve into a bond neither sees coming.
Apart from illness, they have little in common: she's a gorgeous girl with an entourage of perfect friends and he's a soccer-playing farm boy. In the real world, these two seventeen year-olds would have little to say to each other, but in the hospital the usual rules no longer apply.

By the time Zac is discharged, Mia is gone too, and he wonders about her. Is she okay? Is she better? He can't find out. She's left Facebook and won't answer his texts. Until the night he hears a tap at his window.

Told in alternating perspectives, Zac and Mia tracks the relationship of two ordinary teenagers in exceptional circumstances. They're both in remission, but cancer has changed everything, and normal isn't normal anymore. This is a funny and tender novel about hope, love, and courage.


To be honest after reading the description I really wasn't expecting to love because I thought it was your average cancer love story but it wasn't. It was something different.

This book didn't have me from the get go I felt like it was slow in the beginning but after that it really picked up for me it wasn't some big climatic event it just seemed real and it made you wanna keep going to the point where you can't really put it down. It was filled with funny moments, moments that make you smile and some parts where you can't help but shed a tear and I really loved that.

Right from the start I was in love with Zac. He was funny and hopeful he wouldn't give up no matter what the consequences were. Then Mia came along and we see  in the beginning she was such a (you know what) and along the ride we really got to know her, she's strong headed and independent but then we realize that she has a sensitive side and that there's way more to her story. During the story I felt like Zac and Mia's relationship was not really romanticized and I really liked that because I feel like all books these days just have to have a romantic relationship that just needs to happen but in this book it's really not needed. During the book it just warmed my heart to see how much they supported each other and kept each other going.

This book was split into dual perspectives and I generally liked Zac's perspectives more then Mia's because I in general liked Zac more. I felt like he was someone I could relate to more and I enjoyed his since of humor. On the contrary I feel like Mia's perspective was very important because it shows how her personality and opinions change and that's really important for us to see as the reader.

All in all I think that this was an amazing book that had a good mix of crying and laughing. I may not have cancer and not know what their going threw but the way that these characters are written made me relate to them and feel the kind of pain along with happiness they were feeling during this book.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I would give it a 5/5 if you think it's your average tfios story it's not and I seriously suggest you go read it.





Comments

Popular Posts